The Machine-to-Machine Communications Industry
Some industry experts have compared the current status of the M2M industry to the personal computer industry during its early stages. Dr. Egil Juliussen, principal analyst with Telematics Research Group states, “This is an emerging industry at the same stage the PC industry was in back in 1980″. These projections show a multi-billion dollar potential for M2M services in the U.S. within the next five years.
What is M2M?
Machine-to-Machine refers to the term used to describe the utilization of telecommunications systems to transport data wirelessly between remote systems and computers. Our M2M solutions allow people to talk to their remote vehicles and equipment through a wireless network.
FieldLogix’s present focus is in the area of fleet vehicle and asset management. By giving people the ability to view the current and past activities of employees, vehicles, and equipment, our location services are saving companies millions of dollars annually.
We view the future as a world where Machine-to-Machine communications will be a part of our everyday lives.
Here are examples of current M2M applications:
- GM’s OnStar™ system
- In-vehicle navigation systems
- Hand-held navigation systems
- E-911 cellular phone emergency location services
- ATM’s and vending machines that update status wirelessly
- Parolee monitoring
- Military jets that fly into battle without pilots.
- Construction equipment that operates without human interaction.
- Billboards that display localized advertising content.
- and more…..
Here is the future of M2M:
- Vehicles that drive without the need for human interaction.
- Remote control of your home appliances
- Remote monitoring of your personal assets
- and more things that we are thinking of!
** The McKinsey Quarterly, 2002, No. 2